Informed Magnet Users are Safe Magnet Users

High powered magnets require special attention to safety practices, as they are relatively dangerous if swallowed. Loose high-power magnets are not toys for children, and should not be sold as such. It's important to understand that the primary hazard associated with magnets IS NOT choking.

If two or more magnets or magnetic components or a magnet and another metal object (such as a small metal ball) are swallowed separately, they can attract to one another through intestinal walls.  This traps the magnets in place and can cause holes (perforations), twisting and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning (sepsis), and death. When multiple magnets are ingested surgery is required to remove the magnets and sometimes sections of the intestines need to be removed.  

If you suspect magnets have been ingested, please call your local poison control.

Spherical Rare Earth Magnet Set Safety


Swallowed magnets can damage internal organs and have resulted in DEATH and SERIOUS INJURIES.

Seek prompt medical attention if you think magnet(s) were swallowed or inhaled.

Additional Safety Tips for Small Magnets

General High Powered Magnet Field Safety

Force Hazards: 

Effects on medical implants and devices:

Heating Hazard: 

For more information, see: