Informed Magnet Users are Safe Magnet Users
High powered magnets require special attention to safety practices, as they are relatively dangerous if swallowed. Loose high-power magnets are not toys for children, and should not be sold as such. It's important to understand that the primary hazard associated with magnets IS NOT choking.
If two or more magnets or magnetic components or a magnet and another metal object (such as a small metal ball) are swallowed separately, they can attract to one another through intestinal walls. This traps the magnets in place and can cause holes (perforations), twisting and/or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning (sepsis), and death. When multiple magnets are ingested surgery is required to remove the magnets and sometimes sections of the intestines need to be removed.
If you suspect magnets have been ingested, please call your local poison control.
Spherical Rare Earth Magnet Set Safety
WARNING: INTERNAL INJURY HAZARD
Swallowed magnets can damage internal organs and have resulted in DEATH and SERIOUS INJURIES.
Keep away from ALL children.
Be aware of dropped or separated magnets.
NEVER put near mouth or nose.
Seek prompt medical attention if you think magnet(s) were swallowed or inhaled.
Additional Safety Tips for Small Magnets
Look for non-specific abdominal symptoms - abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, etc.
Note that objects in x-rays may appear as a single object that could actually be multiple magnetic pieces separated by trapped intestinal walls.
Keep small magnets and small pieces containing magnets away from young children who might mistakenly, or intentionally, swallow them.
Look out for loose magnetic pieces – regularly inspect toys and children’s play areas for missing or dislodged magnets.
SREMs can be easily counted and accounted for in geometric sheets. For example, a hexagonal sheet with a radius of 8 is exactly 216 magnets.
General High Powered Magnet Field Safety
Large attractive forces: force may become large enough to move equipment towards magnet system, causing small objects to become projectiles.
Large equipment could trap a person (or their limbs) between the object and the magnet. •The closer the ferromagnetic object gets to the magnet, the larger the force.
The greater the equipment mass, the larger the force.
Effects on medical implants and devices:
Electronic and mechanical medical implants and devices should never be exposed to fields above 5 gauss.
The operation of devices such as cardiac pacemakers, biostimulators and neurostimulators may be affected or stopped in the presence of either static or changing magnetic fields.
Medical surgical implants may contain ferrous materials, resulting in strong attractive forces near powerful magnets.
In rapidly changing fields, eddy currents may be induced (particularly in a medical implant), resulting in heat generation, leading to a possible life-threatening situation.
For more information, see: https://ehs.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/Magnet_Safety_Guide.pdf
Other Safety Resources
UPMC Magnet Safety: https://www.chp.edu/injury-prevention/safety/home-and-yard/magnets
CPSC Magnet Ingestion safety alert: https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/5221.pdf
CPSC Magnet Safety Center: https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Magnets